Catalogues in Compleat are lists of items that users can select from when raising requisitions. Instead of having to manually enter line item information, users can select the catalogue button to browse items in a catalogue and quickly add them to a requisition.
You can create as many catalogues as you like in Compleat. You can control which layouts catalogues are available on, as well as customise your users' access to certain catalogues.
In this article, we show you how to create a catalogue and customise it to meet your organisation's needs.
1. Create a catalogue
- In Admin Home, go to the Catalogues module, and click Create new in the top-right.
- Enter a Catalogue description.
- (Optional) Enter a supplier code to limit this catalogue to a single supplier. (Why would you do that?)
- (Optional) You can prevent users from editing certain fields when entering requisitions (using the catalogue?), such as Item code or VAT.
To do this, go to the Restrictions tab, and tick the checkboxes beside the fields to restrict for editing.
- Click Save record.
- You've started a catalogue!
Now it just needs some items. Below, learn how to add items to your catalogue, either manually or by imporing them.
2. Create catalogue items
It's time to create some catalogue items. After you've created catalogue items, they can be used in one or multiple catalogues.
You can either manually add individual catalogue items to Compleat, or import catalogue items in bulk from a spreadsheet.
Manually create catalogue items
To add individual items to your new catalogue manually, follow these steps.
- Go back to the Catalogues menu, and select Catalogue items.
- In the top-right, click Create new.
- Enter an Item code and Item description.
All other fields are optional.
- (Optional) You can limit the codes that can be applied to certain fields for the item.
Go to the Security Options tab, and click an analysis field.
Click and drag the codes you want to be available for the item from the left to the right.
- In the bottom-right, click Save item.
- Your item is saved to Compleat!
It's now ready to be added to a catalogue.
Import catalogue items
To import catalogue items, you need to download an Excel spreadsheet template from Compleat, populate it with your item information, and then import it back to Compleat. Once you've imported it, you can then link those items to one or multiple catalogues.
- In Admin Home, go to Catalogues, and click Export items.
- Click Submit.
- The Excel spreadsheet template downloads to your PC.
Go to your Downloads folder and open it.
- Populate the spreadsheet with your catalogue item information, and save it.
- In Admin Home, go to Catalogues, and click Import items.
- Click Choose File, and locate the saved spreadsheet file on your PC.
- Click Submit.
- Your catalogue items have been imported!
You can see a list of the columns Compleat detected in your spreadsheet. The items are now ready to be added to a catalogue.
3. Add items to a catalogue
- In Admin Home, go to Catalogues, and click Catalogues.
- Select the catalogue you'd like to add items to.
- Choose your method for adding catalogue items:
Import catalogue items - Import a spreadsheet of items (Go to Catalogues > Export items to download a spreadsheet template).
Add or remove catalogue items - Lets you pick catalogue items manually from your item library.
- When you've added items, click Save record.
- Nice work!
You've successfully added catalogue items to a catalogue. Keep reading to see how to make sure your catalogue is available to the right users.
4. Enable catalogues in a layout
You now need to enable catalogues for the relevant purchase order layouts. This will mean that users with access to the layouts can access catalogues when they're raising requisitions. We'll cover how to further restrict user access to catalogues in a moment.
Here's how to enable catalogues in a layout.
- In Admin Home, go to System Config, and click Layout Configuration.
- Select the layout you want to make the catalogue available to.
- In the General Details tab next to Line Entry Method, tick the Catalogue checkbox.
- Click Save Record.
- Great job.
Users with access to this layout will now be able to access catalogues. When they create a new line in a requisition using this layout, they'll see a catalogue button. Clicking this lets them browse the catalogue and add items to their requisition.
5. Give users access to catalogues
The final step is to make sure that the right users have access to catalogues. You do this within the Security Profiles area of Compleat.
- In Admin Home, go to Security, and click Security Profiles.
- Open the relevant security profile.
- In the Security Options grid, click Catalogs.
- To give users in this security profile access to all catalogues, drag Access to all records - (ALL) from the left to the right.
To restrict their access to specific catalogues, drag the individual catalogues from the left to the right.
- Click OK.
- Click Save.
Time for a coffee break!
You've just learned how to create a catalogue, add some items, enable catalogues in layouts, and then give the right users access to catalogues. Your users are finally ready to begin raising requisitions and choosing items from your catalogue.